Aqua America, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Employee and Labor Relations Manager
at Aqua America, Inc.
At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve.
Together, the women and men of Aqua America serve 1 million customers across eight states. Aqua uses science, technology, capital investments, and amazing talent to provide communities with clean, safe drinking water and responsibly return wastewater to our rivers and streams. Join our team and make a difference!
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Human Resources, the Employee and Labor Relations Manager is responsible for the overall strategic planning and management of the labor and employee relations programs for the Company. As the subject matter expert, provides recommendations and/or solutions to HR colleagues and management staff at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership. The position requires hands on experience in union and non-union environments, in leading contract negotiations, conflict resolution, positive employee relations and grievance handling. The Employee and Labor Relations Manager serves as a key contributor to development and maintenance of comprehensive Human Resources policies and strategies.
- Advises human resources business partners (HRBP) and managers on employee relations and labor matters helping to develop the appropriate course prevention and action.
- Administers and manages administration of labor contracts; provides interpretation of labor contracts to managers, employees and HR staff; oversees processes for review and resolution of employee grievances.
- In partnership with business unit leadership, serves as the Company’s chief negotiator in contract negotiations with recognized employee organizations. Maintains current knowledge of employee and labor relations trends, legal decisions, and statutory changes; conducts research necessary to support contract negotiations and employee relations. Uses appropriate negotiation strategies to develop bargaining goals and negotiate contracts consistent with the Company’s goals.
- Facilitates on-going communication and working relationships with employee representative organizations including coordination of joint labor-management committees.
- Develops and recommends to the policies and procedures concerning employee relations and personnel practices.
- Manages the process to investigate and respond to complaints from the Bureau of Labor or other agencies.
- May represent the Company in arbitrations and hearings related to unfair labor practice complaints.
- Participates in the development and delivery of management training programs designed to advance the people management skills of the Company’s management staff and support positive employee relations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field. Five or more years progressively responsible, professional experience in employee relations, collective bargaining and labor relations activities
Experience must include leading contract administration, grievance processing, performance management and disciplinary activities, as well as facilitating on-going communication and working relationships with employee representative organizations and other company stakeholders.
Knowledge and skills:
- Principles and practices of employee and labor relation, collective bargaining and employment laws
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Effective written and oral communications, listening, presentation, group facilitation; influencing and negotiations
- Effective use of mediation and conflict resolution techniques
- Ethical and has the ability to keep information confidential
- Proficiency in partnering with business leaders to drive Company strategies
- Proven ability to influence and achieve results through others
- Ability to establish credibility with numerous constituents
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal supervision
Travel 10% -15%
Aqua America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, including medical conditions related to lactation), physical or mental disability, covered-veteran status, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Aqua America is one of the largest U.S.-based, publicly traded water and wastewater utilities, serving about 1 million customers in Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas and Virginia. Founded in 1886 in southeastern Pennsylvania, Aqua has more than 130 years of history and experience. At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve. At Aqua, we put a strong emphasis on safety. It is part of the fabric of who we are as a company and a culture. Aqua America is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol WTR. More about Aqua is available at AquaAmerica.com. Connect with MyAquaAmerica on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @MyAquaAmerica.