Aqua America, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Facility Operator I
at Aqua America, Inc.
At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve.
Together, the women and men of Aqua America serve 1 million customers across eight states. Aqua uses science, technology, capital investments, and amazing talent to provide communities with clean, safe drinking water and responsibly return wastewater to our rivers and streams. Join our team and make a difference!
Responsible for operation, monitoring and maintenance of all assigned wastewater facilities and systems either owned by the Company’s wastewater utility or operated under contract. Provide on-site operation and maintenance of these facilities in order to achieve compliance with PADEP permit requirements. Responsible for understanding and following all regulatory operational and reporting requirements as stipulated by the system’s regulatory permits and undertaking efforts to assure facilities are sampled in accordance with all applicable permits and operated in accordance with company standard operating procedures and permits.
This position will operate in several areas including Chester, Bucks and Montgomery counties which includes the geographic areas of West Grove, Cochranville, Kennett Square, East Bradford Township, Thornbury Township, Willistown Township, East Brandywine Township, Chester Springs, Solebury Township, Worcester Township, and Upper Merion Township.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Monitor Operations of all wastewater facilities owned by the Company. Conduct testing and analysis required for proper operation and reporting for the facilities. All functions shall be in compliance with regulatory permits. Operate plants in full compliance with regulatory permits.
- Responsible for making and implementing recommendations regarding process changes and adjustments at facilities to improve operational performance.
- Monitor collection system performance and pump stations. Make recommendations on improvements and upgrades as needed.
- Record on plant logs, spreadsheets and electronically all required test results, measurements, equipment readings and observations as specified and/or required by permits, standard operating procedures and as directed by the Supervisor.
- Coordinate the removal of sludge and delivery of all chemicals, fuel, parts and supplies necessary for proper operation of the facilities.
- Assist with on call responsibilities during the work week and weekends including answering alarm calls and reporting to the facility as necessary to diagnose and address the cause of the alarms Monday through Sunday. Must be available 24 hours a day to respond to plant and system problems.
- Maintain facility records, prints, equipment manufacture manuals as well as all operating data.
- Coordinate removal of sludge and delivery of all chemicals, fuel, parts and supplies necessary for proper operations of the facilities.
- Assist management and supervisors in developing and administering applicable safety procedures at facilities, as required.
- Capable of monitoring PLC network to review automated operation of all wastewater facilities, monitor alarms and review computer generated data for proper PADEP and DMR reports, assist in the training of new employees in computer automation system.
- Position requires good mechanical skills as required in the repair/replacement of all plant equipment, including but not limited to pumps, instruments, chemical feed equipment, etc
- Must be able to make mathematical calculations to determine chemical doses required for flow rates and proper treatment.
- Required to meet and follow all Aqua safety requirements dealing with hazardous chemical handling and PPE requirements.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be willing to work a special work week, Wednesday through Sunday, on a rotational basis or as required by management.
SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL OR REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Must either possess or have the ability to obtain a State of Pennsylvania Sewage Plant Operator’s license Type C1 within 24 months of date of hire. Applicant must have been actively involved in operation and maintenance of wastewater facilities for at least two (2) years. Must have current working knowledge of wastewater treatment systems. Must have the capability to diagnose and correct process problems and upsets both reactively and proactively. Use of computers with proficiency in spreadsheets and databases is desirable. Formal training in wastewater is desired such as U.S. EPA Field Study Training Programs and analysis of treatment data and record keeping.
Recommend to the Manager and Supervisory staff improvements and equipment needs that should be included or considered for annual capital budget preparation.
Operations Team Leader
Aqua America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, including medical conditions related to lactation), physical or mental disability, covered-veteran status, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Aqua America is one of the largest U.S.-based, publicly traded water and wastewater utilities, serving about 1 million customers in Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas and Virginia. Founded in 1886 in southeastern Pennsylvania, Aqua has more than 130 years of history and experience. At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve. At Aqua, we put a strong emphasis on safety. It is part of the fabric of who we are as a company and a culture. Aqua America is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol WTR. More about Aqua is available at AquaAmerica.com. Connect with MyAquaAmerica on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @MyAquaAmerica.