Aqua America, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Aqua America, Inc.
At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve.
Together, the women and men of Aqua America serve 1 million customers across eight states. Aqua uses science, technology, capital investments, and amazing talent to provide communities with clean, safe drinking water and responsibly return wastewater to our rivers and streams. Join our team and make a difference!
A vacancy exists for the position of Fleet Mechanic/Fleet Garage in Springfield, PA.
Applicants must obtain the following qualifications:
- 5 years’ experience in job related fields.
- Valid driver’s license - Class “A” with Air Brake restriction removed.
- Valid Pennsylvania State Inspection License for Class 7, Type 1 & 3.
- Valid Pennsylvania Emission Inspection License, Class 8.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Post-secondary automotive training preferred.
- Current certification of approval for air conditioning recycling and repairs i.e., M.A.C.S. (Mobile Air Conditioning Society or ASE Recycling Certification).
- Must own tools necessary to perform repairs and inspections to company vehicles and equipment.
- Must be able to diagnose and perform all mechanical repairs to:
- Vehicle engines (gasoline and diesel)
- Cars and light, medium and heavy-duty trucks (gasoline and diesel)
- Small engines: i.e., pumps, generators, compressors, and lawn mowers
- Construction equipment: i.e., backhoes, excavators and loaders
- Wastewater equipment: i.e., jetters, combination units, camera and grouting equipment
- Compressed air systems i.e., tow behind and underdeck
- Alternative fuel vehicles i.e., Compressed natural gas, propane, electric and hybrid vehicles
- Must be able to operate and maintain all department related equipment.
- Must be able to read and understand wiring and hydraulic schematics.
- Must be able to prepare all job-related administrative forms and paperwork.
- Must be physically capable of lifting material and/or equipment weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Capable of using a computer, tablet or other electronic devices to review vehicle history. Must be able to complete work orders from the Company’s asset management system (i.e. currently Dossier, and basic computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Must be able to ensure safe work practices and OSHA compliance.
- Must be able to work independently and complete work orders.
- Must be available for overtime, as well as work after scheduled hours, holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to communicate with the Fleet Foreman as to the priority of each repair. And advise Fleet Foreman of all repairs required due to driver abuse.
- Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR): The Fleet mechanic will follow assist with the execution of the DVIR procedures and guidelines. The DVIR process includes collecting DVIR’s from the drivers, repairing the trucks and nightly filing according to DOT regulations.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe work environment.
- Responsible for DOT’s Lock Out/ Tag Out procedures when necessary, which does not allow an unsafe vehicle to operate on the roadway.
Successful applicant might be assigned to second shift at the discretion of the Department Head, will be required to attend various schools for vehicle technology, and will be subject to call outs for road service.
The hourly rate of pay is $35.94##
## All employees hired or entering the bargaining unit on or before December 1, 2003 will receive three dollars ($3.00) per hour less than the classification wage rate. The wage reduction will be returned in one-dollar ($1.00) increases once a year over a three (3) year period. Employee will receive annual contract increases.
##In addition, this rate is (10) cents per hour less than indicated for the classification until the employee obtains the required Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) for this position in the time duration required.
A written and field exam will be required.
Internal applicants for this position may access their personnel file only one time for up to one hour during the five-day posting period so they may review previous testing material.
All interested employees should apply during the posting period. Those union employees with one year or more in their current department will be considered first, if there are no successful candidates from this group, then union employees who have applied and have less than one year, will be contacted as applicants.
Successful applicant who has been awarded a job requiring a CDL must, prior to new job:
- Within (5) days of notification, secure the necessary Knowledge Test Authorization form from PENNDOT and take the necessary vision screening. Failure to secure the necessary application within (5) days will be cause for successful applicant to lose the awarded job and return to current job. Proof of application must be presented to Human Resources within this time frame.
- Within (60) days of award of job, the employee must pass the required knowledge testing in order to receive the required learner’s permit.
- Within (120) additional days must have passed and secured a CDL with necessary endorsements. The permit is valid for (120) days.
- Failure to secure a CDL within (120) days will be cause for employee to leave job and secure job which does not require a CDL. The permit is valid for (120) days.
To the extent that PennDOT delays the issue of the learners permit this (60) days will be extended accordingly.
The classification of “Fleet Mechanic” is subject to the Federal Highway Administration Regulation 49 CFR Part 382 that stipulates that any employee who is required to obtain and hold a commercial driver’s license is subject to the following:
- Random drug and alcohol testing
- Reasonable suspicion testing
- Post accident testing involving a loss of life and/or citation for a moving violation
- Return to duty testing
- Bi-annual medical certification (physical examination)
The United States Department of Transportation governing Physical Qualifications and Examinations, SUBPART E Article 391.41 states a person holding a Commercial Driver’s License shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is physically qualified to do so. He/she will be required to successfully obtain a Medical Examiner’s Certificate prior to starting in the position. Federal regulations mandate that the medical certificate must always be in one’s possession at all times.
Interested applicants can contact Human Resources at 1.800.292.1910 or apply online at https://aquaamerica.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Aqua_America_Careers however, they must also notify their supervisors in writing on or before Wednesday, June 5, 2019.
Aqua America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, including medical conditions related to lactation), physical or mental disability, covered-veteran status, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Aqua America is one of the largest U.S.-based, publicly traded water and wastewater utilities, serving about 1 million customers in Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas and Virginia. Founded in 1886 in southeastern Pennsylvania, Aqua has more than 130 years of history and experience. At Aqua, we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve. At Aqua, we put a strong emphasis on safety. It is part of the fabric of who we are as a company and a culture. Aqua America is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol WTR. More about Aqua is available at AquaAmerica.com. Connect with MyAquaAmerica on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @MyAquaAmerica.