Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Technician I
at Howard Hughes Medical Institute
At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world’s largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and abroad. We have an opportunity for a Research Technician to join the research team in the Seghal Lab at the University of Pennsylvania. The laboratory is interested in the molecular basis of behavior. The major emphasis, to date, has been on the mechanisms underlying circadian rhythms of rest/activity, using Drosophila as a model system.
Under general supervision, assist scientists and other technicians in the performance of laboratory and investigative procedures by performing a variety of routine experimental techniques such as electrophoresis, centrifugation, chromatography, and the like. Collect, verify, record, and compile data and information in support of research.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities (specific duties will depend on needs of the laboratory):
- Assist scientists and technicians by performing various investigative procedures and operating a variety of instruments and other scientific equipment.
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; perform calculations and prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and test reports.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data; tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- May order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- May maintain insects, plants, animals and/or bacterial and tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.
Organizational Scope and Impact of Position
Contributes to research results on an on-going basis. Usually conducts routine aspects of research projects. Influences short range and limited scope activities. Errors, though potentially significant, are usually limited in scope due to close supervision of individual.
Interactions with Others
Organizes projects within workload to insure goals are met. Meets routinely with supervisor. Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an appropriate field of science or technology or equivalent in education and related laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- Generally experienced in job duties and in the principles and practices associated with those duties with an understanding of the underlying scientific principles.
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction. Able to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends.
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting.
HHMI is an equal opportunity employer