Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Technical Designer, Outerwear, Woven and Knit Pants, Shorts, Skorts,Woven Skirt, Rompers and Woven sets
at Lilly Pulitzer
King of Prussia, PA - Home Office
Job DescriptionThis position is responsible for facilitating the transition of apparel styles from design concept / first prototype to a final, production-ready sample. Execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining high quality standards. Collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent; ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories. Complete design specification package, including: flat sketch with measurements, construction details, measurement specifications with appropriate tolerances and any predefined performance standards. Lead and facilitate the communication of all information necessary to create garment. Develop technical specifications and communicate fit to vendors / factories for corrections and approvals. Ensure products are developed in a manner consistent with established fit and quality standards, manufacturer capabilities and cost specifications. Lead and facilitate fit sessions on live model and / or mannequin and take ownership of specific product(s). Make appropriate fit and construction adjustments with factories as required to ensure integrity of design-approved prototypes while monitoring quality and targeted price. Provide team leadership within the technical team.
The Senior Technical Senior Technical Designer, outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts, woven skirts, rompers and woven sets, has responsibility to guide and train the fit for outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts, woven skirts, rompers and woven sets in alignment with the company’s fit and sizing initiatives that will ultimately delight the Lilly Pulitzer® consumer by translating to market superior apparel product. This will in turn lead to profitable growth for the company over a multiyear horizon.
The Senior Technical Designer is responsible to provide guidance to both Fashion Design and the supplier base regarding fit, sizing and construction also, to ensure that all technical packages, patterns and graded specifications are issued in accordance with the goals of achieving Fashion Design’s stylistic intent and achieving market superior apparel product.
The primary measure of success is the returns rate in the e-commerce full price business.
The Senior Technical Designer should operate in a manner consistent with the Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership qualities. The Senior Technical Designer has a high responsibility for leadership and must demonstrate the ability to build strong relationships with other senior technical design staff.
The Senior Technical Designer must possess strong Leadership traits, demonstrate understanding of issues and be able to execute as a part of a high performing, results oriented team. This includes leading and inspiring his/her employees to do the same. As part of the overall duties, there are five major areas of responsibility:
Understand the Lilly Pulitzerâ customer, lifestyle, positioning in the marketplace and product strategy; Collaborate effectively with technical design colleagues, fit with The Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership Qualities;
Work closely with Fashion Design to understand the desired styling and fit intent of each silhouette and ensure development of technical packages, graded specifications and patterns that translate Fashion Design’s vision into a reality of finished apparel product; Guide and train the outerwear, woven and knit pants,shorts, skorts woven skirts, rompers and woven sets team, including building and shaping the team under the leadership of the Director of Technical Design, Quality Assurance and Compliance. Visit factories overseas to help them understand the technical packages and design intent to ensure adherence to standards that result in high quality bulk production.
The five major areas are discussed below.
Understand the Lilly Pulitzerâ Customer, Lifestyle, Positioning in the Marketplace and Product Strategy.
- Lilly Pulitzer® is a lifestyle branded marketing company in the apparel, accessories and footwear business, serving the needs of the affluent customer at ease. The company’s brand positioning is Lilly’s Resort Chic. Key competitive advantages for Lilly Pulitzer® are print, authentic resort, optimism and multi generational.
- Know and appreciate the Lilly Pulitzerâ customer. The customer is multi-generational. This affects fit and styling and thus impacts decisions technical design will make.
- The product strategy is to create innovative designs that delight our customer, have high retail sell through and contribute to the profitable growth of the company.
Collaborate effectively with technical design colleagues, fit with The Company Creed, Core Values and Core Leadership Qualities;
- The Senior Technical Designer has a broad responsibility to collaborate effectively with colleagues. The Senior Technical Designer should instill confidence in others that he/she is capable, knowledgeable and in control of all matters related to outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts woven skirts, rompers and woven sets.
- The Senior Technical Designer should fit with The Company Creed, the Core Values and the Core Leadership Qualities. The Senior Technical Designer should demonstrate significant development toward mastery of the following Core Leadership Qualities:
2. Inspire Others Positively
3. Play to Win
4. Win as a Team
Work Closely with Fashion Design to Understand the Desired Styling and Fit Intent of Each Silhouette and Ensure Development of Technical Packages, Graded Specifications and Patterns that Translate Fashion Design’s Vision into a Reality of Finished Apparel Product.
- Work closely with the Director of Technical Design, Quality Assurance and Compliance and the fashion designers to understand the desired styling and fit intent of each silhouette and develop technical packages to achieve this intent. While Fashion Design are responsible to provide direction on the stylistic intent of each silhouette and to give a general idea of how each silhouette should fit, it is the responsibility of Technical Design to take this vision and morph it into a tech pack, graded spec and pattern that captures the design intent, but is viable from a fit, sizing, construction and bulk production. It is critical that the Senior Technical Designer understands and implements this.
- Ensure that established standards, such as length, inseam and ease over body measurements are being adhered to by both fashion design and technical design, within outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts, woven skirts, rompers and woven sets.
- Develop a library of established fit blocks that meet the intent of Fashion Design’s vision for outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts, woven skirts, rompers and woven sets. This will be done under the supervision of the Director of Technical Design to ensure consistency between categories.
- Ensure that all members of the Technical Design department and the Fashion Design department are aware of the fit model’s current body measurements. This should occur week
Guide and Train the Outwear, Woven and Knit Pants, Shorts,Skorts, Woven Skirts,Woven Rompers and Sets Team, Including Building and Shaping the team. Under the Leadership of the Director of Technical Design, Quality assurance and compliance.
- The Senior Technical Designer should demonstrate leadership in alignment with the Core Leadership Qualities. It is not enough merely to perform the job. How things are done, is equally as important as what is done.
- The Senior Technical Designer must conduct himself/herself in a manner that gives others confidence in his/her abilities to execute technical fit and guide the outerwear, woven and knit pants,shorts, skorts woven skirts, rompers and woven sets.
- Assist the Director of Technical Design, Quality Assurance and Compliance, in recruiting, motivating, developing and training the outerwear, woven and knit pants, shorts, skorts woven skirts, rompers and woven sets team. Staff each position with a qualified individual to develop a high performing team.
Visit Factories Overseas to help them to understand the Tech Packs and Design intent.
- Train and educate vendors/ factories overseas to ensure they understand the company’s guidelines and expectations as outlined in the vendor manual.
- Assist in clarification in all aspects of the technical package. This should help to resolve any production or quality issues that could occur because of misinterpretation.
-How to Measure
SKILLS REQUIRED TO PERFORM SUCCESSFULLY:
- The Senior Technical Designer needs to have a high degree of technical knowledge in outerwear, woven and knit pants,shorts, skorts woven skirts, rompers and woven sets.This knowledge should and be demonstrated in many forms, be that in fittings, addressing a broader group, training others or on factory floor. The Senior Technical Designer should have the ability to train and motivate a team of at least four technical designers. The Senior Technical Designer should have the ability to collaborate effectively with a broad range of colleagues, primarily other Senior Technical Designers and counterparts in Fashion Design as well as Product Development, Production and Quality Assurance.
- The Senior Technical Designer must have proficient skills in technical design, conducting/overseeing fittings, garment construction, pattern making, grade rules and translating the intent of Fashion Design into technical packages. The Senior Technical Designer must be able to provide effective technical flat sketches.
- The Senior Technical Designer must have proficiency and comfort in the use of technology to support Technical Design. This includes primarily the Gerber® Web Product Data Management (PDM) System. It includes the Accumark modules of Pattern Maker and Marker Maker.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A four year college degree is required. This must be in technical design, or a closely related subject.
- At least eight years of prior experience in a technical design position or a pattern making position are required. At least four of those years should be in a supervisory function and should include working with a supplier base that is largely outside of North America. This experience is preferably with a women’s fashion branded Apparel Company.
- This position is classified as full-time salaried; it is exempt and is not eligible for overtime. This position is eligible for standard company fringe benefits.
- This position requires International and Domestic travel.
- Given the seasonality of the business, this position may require flexible, additional working hours during peak periods.
- This position is reviewed annually.
Lilly Pulitzer® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lilly Pulitzer® participates in E-Verify. Details in English and Spanish. Right to Work Statement in English and Spanish.
Lilly Pulitzer® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lilly Pulitzer® designs and distributes apparel and accessories for women and children. It all started 50ish years ago with a simple shift dress in Palm Beach, Florida. Today, Lilly Pulitzer® provides a collection of modern resort wear inspired by the authentic Palm Beach lifestyle. Lilly Pulitzer® can be found online and in 30 company-operated retail stores, over 70 Signature Stores and major department stores nationwide