Penn Mutual Life Insurance
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Penn Mutual Life Insurance
As a member of the Penn Mutual team you will be responsible for the design and implementation of code in our middle-tier data platform. The ideal candidate must be forward thinking and have a willingness to learn new things. You will be using cutting edge Big Data technologies to join, transform and store our data assets. We are looking for a strong performer who is detail oriented and loves all things related to data.
- Responsible for design, code, configuration, and implementation of high-quality software solutions.
- Support the best practices needed to ensure on time, quality software solution deliverables.
- Understand the vision of how the products and systems will be implemented and maintained, and ensure the integrity of the vision throughout the product's lifecycle.
- Develop and review task estimates and assumptions during sprint planning and at key project milestones. Validate the development approach and assumptions that underlie the delivery plans.
- Stay abreast of the ever-changing technology industry to make sure solutions developed are following internal and industry “best practices” and will meet the needs of the business going forward. Research and evaluate emerging technology solutions.
- Communicate at the appropriate level within and outside of IT the technical direction and proposed solutions for various projects and initiatives.
- Provide documentation for IT initiatives per responsibility.
- Provide feedback on requirements for understandability, completeness, and feasibility.
- Provide timely and accurate project status.
- Recognize areas for change and champion the effort needed to affect change.
- Ensure all technical standards are incorporated as appropriate.
- Complies with all company and site policies and procedures.
- Remains current in profession and industry trends.
- Successfully completes regulatory and job training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Technology analysis, research and documentation skills and the ability to translate technology analysis and research into workable solutions or solution components is required.
- Strong analysis, judgment, decision making, and planning skills working in a proactive manner, and a desire to continuously learn new skills.
- Passion and demonstrated ability for continuous process improvement.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong skills in explaining, describing and graphically portraying design elements.
- Willingness to broaden technical, functional, and industry skill base and to keep current with industry information and technical knowledge.
- Strong understanding of the tools and methodologies to architect and design applications and systems.
- Must be able to work independently and prioritize work effectively.
- Strong organization skills required.
- Strong business perspective and the ability to relate technology concepts to business requirements
- Must be a team player
- Must show a willingness to learn.
- Must love manipulating and transforming data.
- Ability to make a positive contribution as demonstrated by learning new skills and making suggestions for process/procedure improvement.
- Ability to work with others in a collaborative team environment.
- Minimum 2 years of academic or on the job experience in Java or other object-oriented language
- Internship experience in related field a plus.
- Experience required using standard object-oriented design patterns.
- Experience required using object-oriented data structures such as list, map, set.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux based systems
- Familiarity with Agile development
- Experience in developing clean, maintainable and testable code.
- Experience establishing standards and best practices for Java and other object-oriented languages.
- Experience using version control systems, SVN preferred
- Experience with Maven, Jenkins and Artifactory preferred.
- Bachelor’s or higher-level degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline.
Salary Level = 20
All Associates Exemplify Our Penn Mutual Values:
Acting With Integrity—We have the conscious intention to do the right thing.
Respecting One Another—We see each other’s distinctiveness as a valued asset.
Focusing on Relationships—We foster meaningful connections with others.
Sustaining Our Legacy—We are trusted guardians for what we promise.
A Shared Sense of Belonging—We evoke our place as part of a world that we influence and influences us.
For Leadership roles within Penn Mutual, we believe the below characteristics are essential:
Execution Focused – “Gets it done” and drives progress and results towards strategic objectives.
Strategic – “Sees the big picture and challenges boundaries, takes risks and innovates to execute and advance Penn Mutual’s strategy.
Authentic – “Keeps it real” and is principled, transparent, trustworthy and accountable.
Decisive – “Makes the call” and demonstrates courage, confidence and a bias for action.
Empowering – “Develops people” and sets clear expectations, delegates effectively and encourages risk taking.
Influential – “Sets the tone” and inspires, motivates and persuades others through their decisions and actions.
Penn Mutual is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We provide employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified applicants and associates, according to applicable laws. This is reflected in our practices for hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment, compensation, selection or training, and all other terms and conditions of employment. All employment-related decisions and practices are free from unlawful discrimination. This includes: race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship age, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic partnership or civil union status, marital status, genetic information, disability, religious observance or practice, liability, veteran status or any other classification protected under applicable law.
Leaders may, at their discretion, change the responsibilities in this position description at any time due to reasonable accommodation and/or other business reasons.
About the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company
Penn Mutual is committed to helping people live life with confidence. At the heart of this purpose is the belief that life insurance is central to a sound financial plan. Through our network of trusted advisers, we are dedicated to helping individuals, families and businesses achieve their dreams. Penn Mutual supports its advisers with retirement and investment services through its wholly owned subsidiary Hornor, Townsend & Kent, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Visit Penn Mutual at www.pennmutual.com.