Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Convention Services Manager
at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Sr. Convention Services Manager Job Description
Convention services managers reserve conference rooms and coordinate services for groups and organizations holding meetings, conventions and other events on hotel grounds. They may organize banquet or catering services, reserve video or audio equipment and plan any changes to the configuration of the event space.
Sr. Convention Services Manager Job Duties
Convention services managers must often meet with representatives of groups and organizations to discuss what they have in mind for their meeting or special event. They may sign contractual agreements and usually keep records of all communications in writing. They also meet with the heads of other departments in the hotel to coordinate any planned events. Convention services managers monitor events and address unexpected problems as they arise to make sure that the functions go as planned.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Hosts Planning Meetings, Site Inspections, Pre-Convention Meetings as outlined in departmental guidelines.
- Meetings: Facilitate tasks or requests as asked by guest such as; assures group boxes are in place, room set ups are correct, audio visual is in place, etc. Resolve minor client concerns. Inform supervisor of major problems, complaints, disturbances or dissatisfied guests.
- Provide group and seminar coordination of all details (pick up, credit, coupons, VIP’s, BEO creation)
- Promote team work and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Coordinate details with other departments such as VIP amenities, special requests, or other service needs or special handling. Discuss meeting details with Banquet staff, group pick up reports, VIP reservations with Reservation/Revenue Department
- Assist in Supervising Banquet staff
- Greet and welcome group contact and be a client advocate
- Attend and participate in daily Sales, Ops and Banquet Event Order (BEO) and other meetings as assigned (credit, staff, 4PM Ops, Sales Meetings, etc)
- Lead Pre-con meetings and Weekly Review and BEO Meetings to ensure details are communicated from clients throughout hotels
- Finalize detail of groups, catering events (except wedding and large social events) and close out folders and banquet postings as assigned
- While coordinating groups upsell Food & Beverage items, VIP and welcome amenities, audio visual to drive revenues
- Assist in coordinating all details while group is in house.
- This job has a high degree of direct guest contact and interaction while groups are in-house. As well as via phone and email while coordinating group details.
- Attention to detail and timeliness is a critical skill used in this job
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- May coordinate outside vendor service needs (floral displays, audio/visual, etc.) where appropriate. Regularly follow-up to ensure set-up requirements meet client needs.
- Respond to client special requests on meeting details, dates, times, and hotel room and meeting room requirements. Regularly follow-up with clients and maintain accurate and updated information. Upsell additional services to clients.
- Ensure that current and prospective client database is maintained.
- Perform routine administrative duties such as typing proposals, letters, contracts, etc., completing reports, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned (guest room tours, property tours, special guest requests, maintaining calendars, answering phones, handling of mail, faxes, etc.)
Participation and Leading Conference Team
- Sets goals and delegates tasks to improve hourly staff performance.
- Attend and actively participate in all pertinent meetings.
- Celebrate successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members including consistent use of OSC cards
- Champions all standards, policies and procedures for the Event Planning team.
- Take active role in training and development of junior managers and hourly associates
- Take responsibility for maintaining/updating department information in systems and update team as needed.
Sr. Convention Services Manager Requirements
A degree in hospitality, restaurant management or hotel management can prepare one for a career as a convention services manager. However, specific education requirements can vary by employer. Some may look for job candidates who have bachelor's degrees, others may require associate's degrees and still others may require only experience working for a hotel. Some employers may look for degrees in specific majors, while others look for a degree in any subject.
Those looking for formal education programs in hospitality, hotel management or related areas may find programs accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration at community colleges, vocational schools and universities. These programs may lead to a certificate, associate's degree, bachelor's degree or graduate degree. Coursework typically includes accounting, economics, business, computer applications, marketing, hotel administration, hotel maintenance, food service management and housekeeping.
Some hotels offer management training programs to experienced employees who demonstrate leadership potential and good people skills. Trainees may be given the title of assistant manager, and may be required to work at different hotel properties to gain experience.
Convention services managers are typically hired by a convention center or hotel and work with event planners to match the amenities of the facilities with the needs of the planner. They typically hold a bachelor's degree in a related field and have some event planning experience.
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (703) 387-3888 or email ADA.Assistance@interstatehotels.com with the nature of your accommodation request and include the Hotel location and title of the job opening. Please allow one (1) business day for a reply.