The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part Time PSYCHOLOGIST
at The Geo Group
Facility: CHESTER RESIDENTIAL
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Forensic Psychologist role evaluates patients for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders and determines the appropriate course of treatment. Responsible for directing and coordinating mental health functions as well as supervising and training staff members.
In collaboration with Delaware County Department of Human Services, Office of Behavioral Health and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DHS), the Restoration of Competency (ROC) Program at Chester is designed to help restore male individuals to competency, as determined by the court, to continue with their legal proceedings. Competence refers to an individual’s ability to participate in their legal proceedings with a level of understanding and cooperation that is not influenced by manifestations of mental illness. There are three basic criteria for determination of competency: understanding the court system, being able to make rational decisions, and being able to work with counsel. The ROC Program at Chester will assist with decreasing the wait list to NSH by enrolling those eligible to participate and restoring competency for individuals to proceed with trial and sentencing. This is achieved by educating program participants on basic courtroom knowledge, teaching basic behavioral management skills, and providing appropriate mental health treatment for symptoms of mental illness which may include counseling and psychotropic medication prescribed by a psychiatrist as necessary.
Additional resources of this program include the following:
a. Anger management tools
b. Relaxation and stress management tools
c. Additional competency assessment tools
d. Increased communication and county support
e. Increased interdisciplinary support facility-wide
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs psychological evaluation on patients population for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders, including nature and extent. Determines the appropriate course of treatment.
- Evaluates patients’ mental status as to the need for transfer.
- Provides psychotherapy counseling to treat illness or distress.
- Possesses a complete awareness of psychotropic medications, but cannot prescribe.
- Instructs staff and officers in suicide identification and subsequent prevention techniques.
- Provides in-service education for medical and correctional staff as required. Performs and trains staff on crisis intervention techniques.
- Performs administrative duties in keeping accurate records of detainee/inmate contact, documenting all services provided, filling out required reports and analyses as required.
- Consults with the Physician or Psychiatrist as needed for the proper health care needs of the patient.
- Participates in review of the quality of care provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D, Psy.D, or EdD in Psychology from an accredited university.
- Current license in Psychology in the state in which the facility is located or licensure/certification in accordance with contract requirements. (Current copy of license must be on file at the facility at all times.)
- Two (2) years of correctional work experience is preferred.