The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR
at The Geo Group
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: J3Q66260Q39TYTGZYG4
Categories: Healthcare - Behavioral/Mental Health, Healthcare - Therapy/Rehab Services, Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES
Facility: GEORGE W. HILL
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Provides counseling services, assists the inmates in adjusting to facility life and obtaining needed services or changes in assignment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Interviews newly admitted inmates/detainees. Develops detailed knowledge of those assigned to specific caseload.
- Resolves daily inmate/detainee problems, complaints and concerns with general counseling techniques.
- Conducts regularly scheduled meetings with inmates to provide assistance with rehabilitation program, work assignment, housing-related challenges.
- Makes daily assigned unit visits to ensure informal contact with inmates/detainees and interaction with Correction Officers.
- Inspects units for cleanliness and adherence to security practices.
- May log and distribute legal and certified mail and coordinate inmate telephone sign-up list.
- May serve as an active participant on the classification teaming committee meetings to determine assigned housing, in addition to appropriate work and rehabilitation programs. May serve on the discipline committee.
- Resolves day-to-day problems with counseling. Refers inmates/detainees with serious problems to professional counseling staff.
- May provide assistance to the inmates/detainees in obtaining needed services. Serves as a representative for the inmate/detainee at classification committee meetings.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of inmate/detainee daily contacts as detailed in the agency program procedures.
- Monitors inmate/detainee work details to ensure appropriate assignments and quotas are filled to provide facility needs.
- Coordinates approval/denial of inmate/detainee visiting and telephone lists.
- Assists the Corrections Officer with the security inspection of the living unit to ensure sanitary and security policies of the facility are adhered to.
- Assists with unit management activities as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- Three (3) years experience working in a correctional setting required.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Must be flexible, cooperative and empathetic to the needs of staff and inmates/detainees.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!