Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Wawanesa Insurance
The Distinguished Engineer creates plans to define and evaluate how technology should be utilized and leveraged to enable a world-class customer experience. The Distinguished Engineer will drive decision criteria and vendor evaluation on technology decisions that will advance Wawa’s mission. Responsible for delivering innovative technology solutions in support of Wawa’s foodservice delivery and checkout optimization innovation efforts.
- Oversee the research, development, and introduction of new solution capabilities, processes, and tooling aligned with technical innovation strategy that will enable a world-class customer experience.
- Consult with and provide guidance to senior management on complex projects and emerging technologies and opportunities that will drive Wawa growth and differentiation in the market.
- Drive strategic contribution across the entirety of the product/technology lifecycle from vision through implementation. Continue to provide support post go–live.
- Participate in the establishment of innovation technology vision and strategy, contribute as a thought partner, write technology and implementation plans and see plans through the lifecycle to successful market presence including value creation and support of the implemented solution. Transition new technologies into mainstream IT support teams and processes.
- Analyze solution and business/market requirements and help management prioritize.
- Provide technical guidance on disruptive technologies and grey areas, identify solution and technology pain points, and resolve conflict.
- Drive the execution of new technical innovation initiatives using a combination of prototyping, modeling, financial analysis, incubation or business development capabilities.
- Provide long term industry outlook, and recommend strategic direction for Wawa’s success.
- Design, define, system requirements, system specifications, input/output processes and working parameters by using current systems engineering methods and technologies.
- Generate innovative and unique solutions to market needs. Work is expected to result in the development of new or refined systems or processes.
- Partner and collaborate with business and project teams to understand strategies and objectives. Prioritize and deliver technology solutions to achieve business goals and strategies. Make strategic decisions while managing uncertainty and risk. Prepare strategic analysis of potential business and/or operational opportunities as needed.
- Benchmark companies to understand industry and key technology platform that will enable Wawa’s strategy. Research technology trends, align with technology vendors/partners to pilot projects and strive to move Wawa to the forefront of innovation as a thought leader in the industry. Contribute innovation thought leadership for insights and trends that can transform Wawa as a leading innovative company.
- Lead and manage technology innovation projects through all milestones from early concept through handover to development, ensuring timely completion of all innovation deliverables. Responsible for planning activities including identification of objectives, scope, resources, budget, schedule and reporting progress against objectives. Provide technical guidance and ensure secure development and testing practices are adhered to all developed services.
- Develop and execute framework to evaluate, select and implement technology solutions including constrain and risk identification. Develop technology investment case.
- Participate in the negotiations of contractual terms (financial, scope, service levels, etc.) and statements of work with technology providers. Ensure vendor partners deliver the highest quality deliverable.
- Establish long-term internal and external business relationships. Understand business and technology requirements and offer appropriate solutions. Leverage IT teams and processes as needed to deliver on key strategic goals.
- Plan, organize, monitor and allocate resources to a portfolio of projects. Responsible for effective execution (schedule and budget), communication and attainment of business objectives.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing to all levels of management
- Analyze information, understand implications, and effectively propose solutions
- Highly developed consultative, facilitative and project management skills
- Strong business acumen and understanding of financial management
- High degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Ability to effectively negotiate and collaborate with both internal business owners and external partners
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Willingness to lead as well as be hands-on with project deliverables
Skill / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Information Technology, Engineering or related field preferred; graduate degree preferred plus
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role with proven track record of leading project teams focused on new technology
- Proven experience in Mobile / Digital Strategy, Analytics, and Technology Innovation; experience in retail or Retail/Food Service Technology a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in applications in associated Engagement Area. For example:
- ESB Software (example: Mulesoft, Apache, OpenESB)
- Cloud base technology
- Software Development methodologies (example: Agile)
- Cloud web services (example: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Package Application Software including configuration and integration
- Experience in private/public companies and consulting preferred
- Experienced in operating in lean organizations, labs or start-up