WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
19-128 Tenure-Track Assistant Professor - Dept. of Library Services (Special Collections Librarian)
at WEST CHESTER UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
- Position Summary
Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University Libraries seek an experienced and innovative librarian to join the faculty as our Special Collections Librarian. The Special Collections Librarian will provide vision and leadership in the ongoing development of West Chester University Special Collections, home to a rich selection of scholarly materials. With holdings of over 17,000 items, the collections are especially strong in colonial, natural and Pennsylvania history and include unexpected treasures such as Shakespeare folios and an extensive collection of autographed copies of books collected by Dr. George Morris Philips during his tenure as principal of West Chester State Normal School (1880-1920).
The successful candidate will be responsible for expanding the impact and reach of Special Collections by guiding the collection's growth and providing instruction and outreach to the University and wider communities. The Special Collections Librarian will have frequent contact with established and potential donors, provide research consultation and instructional support for faculty and other researchers, and oversee programs, exhibitions and publications involving Special Collections materials.
This is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position carrying full faculty status and responsibilities, including scholarship and service to meet both the Libraries' and the University's requirements for tenure and promotion. West Chester University Libraries is an evolving organization, and to be successful the Special Collections Librarian must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills and the ability to work in an environment where flexibility and collaboration are essential.
- Provides instruction for the use of Special Collections materials, research methodology, and primary resource materials across the curriculum to students, faculty, and others.
- Collaborates with faculty to create information literacy instruction sessions both in specific departments and in general education courses.
- Creates instructional materials that support both research and teaching.
- Works with the University Affairs division and the WCU Foundation and others on campus to support the cultivation of donors and the marketing of West Chester University.
- Plans and implements programs, exhibitions, publication and other outreach efforts in collaboration with the wider University and surrounding communities.
- Collaborates with the Library's Digital Collections Initiatives Team as well as other librarians and support staff that interact with the Special Collections unit.
- Establishes and manages functional priorities for processing, preservation, access, reference, instruction, outreach and assessment of Special Collections.
- Manages physical and intellectual access to content in collections that support research and learning, and coordinates the processing and developing of finding aids using ArchiveSpace.
- Manages the activities and duties of support staff/student worker/interns assigned to the department.
- Evaluates the need for equipment and supplies and administer the unit's budget.
- Provides in-depth research assistance to Special Collections users.
- Provides in person, chat, email, and telephone support at the Francis Harvey Green Library Research Help Desk during assigned day, evening, and weekend hours.
- Pursues scholarly growth through publications, presentations, professional activities, and other contributions to advance the profession.
- Engages in scholarship that includes research, scholarly, or creative activities required for tenure and promotion.
- Provides service to the library, the university, and the profession through committee work, conference attendance, or similar endeavors.
- Participates in library and university governance (shared governance).
- Minimum Qualifications
- An earned Master's in Library Science (MLS) or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited institution.
- 2-years of experience in special collections in an academic or in a research library.
- Substantial experience in the instruction of special collections materials and other primary sources.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with colleagues, students, faculty, and staff.
- Successful completion of an on-campus interview process that includes a teaching demonstration.
- Preferred Qualifications
- The completion of a concentration in archives/special collections, or a certificate in Arrangement & Description (A&D) from the Society of American Archivists (SAA).
- Second master's or advanced degree.
- Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining successful donor relationships.
- Experience with archival collections management platforms such as ArchiveSpace.
- Experience with archival description standards such as EAD and DACS.
- Special Instructions
Interested applicants should apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wcupa/default.cfm
West Chester University offers a competitive benefits package. Rank and salary commensurate with experience.
Application materials must include:
- Cover letter / letter of application.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Names, affiliations and phone numbers of three professional references.
- Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (pdf suggested); official transcripts will be requested prior to hire.
Developing and sustaining a diverse faculty and staff advances WCU's educational mission and strategic plan Building on Excellence. West Chester University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment background checks.